The Courthouse Mentioned in the Revelation on Zion
"In the summer of 1831 after the Prophet Joseph Smith and members of his party arrived in Missouri to find the location of the Lord's City of Zion, the young leader dictated a revelation informing the Church that a temple was to be constructed near the Jackson County Courthouse. The courthouse which was standing on the public square the summer Joseph and his party arrived in Missouri was the first permanent-type brick courthouse in Jackson County, but it enjoyed only a brief service from 1831 to 1836, when it was torn down and replaced. Because of the short life of the first brick courthouse and because knowledge of its successor was made more readily available and lasting by an artist's etching, the existence of the first permanent brick courthouse has been largely overlooked, even by public officers of Jackson County." [Publisher's abstract].