Honoring Juanita Brooks : A Compilation of 30 Annual Presentations from the Juanita Brooks Lecture Series, 1984-2014
St. George, UT
Dixie State University
While Dixie State College was founded in 1911 by the LDS Church, its precursors in St. George included the basement of the St. George Tabernacle and the Woodward college. The college dealt with the national flu of 1919 and with the Great Depression in the 1930s. The LDS Church withdrew its sponsorship in 1933 and the Utah State Board of Education took control.
In 1954, Governor J. Bracken considered returning the college back to LDS Church sponsorship as part of his tax cuts plan. Local residents protested this plan, and state control was retained. During this time, Dixie State struggled with student housing, and the program was eventually moved to a new campus in 1963. In 1969, the state decided to place Dixie State under the governance of the Utah State System for Higher Education.