Forgotten City of the Saints : Mormons, Native Americans, and the Founding of Lehi
Journal of Arizona History
Lehi, originally known as Camp Utah, was the first permanent Mormon settlement in southern Arizona. Its settlers later founded two nearby settlements into which Lehi was eventually incorporated--the City of Mesa and the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community. Arriving in 1877 under the colorful leadership of Daniel Webster Jones and despite many challenges with climate, Native Americans, and the United Order, Lehi settlers eventually formed a successful community and a cooperative relationship with local Native Americans.