Caring for Children : The Orphan's Home and Day Nursery Association
The Orphan's Home and Day Nursery was organized in 1884 by a group of nine volunteer women appointed by their various church congregrations. The LDS Church sent a representative to join the board in 1887. The orphanage was supported by donations and eventually state funding. There were continual problems with illness, staffing, and space. By 1941, the organization changed its name to the Children's Service Society and the children were placed in foster homes rather than housed in one building.