The Ninth Temple : A Light in the Desert : Mesa Arizona, 1927-2002
The colonizing pioneers who were called to leave their homes in Utah to come to Arizona wanted to live in the shadow of a temple. These pioneers would make the arduous trek to St. George, the temple nearest to them, to do their temple work. Four great stakes evolved in Arizona: the Snowflake Stake, the St. Johns Stake, the St. Joseph Stake, and the Maricopa Stake. For approximately forty years, most of the Church membership resided in these four stakes. Finally, under the inspired leadership of President Heber J. Grant, the decision was made to erect a temple within the boundaries of the Maricopa Stake, in Mesa.
Money was raised to build the temple. People throughout the state were overjoyed with the prospect of living near a temple. Even people who were not members of the Church were appreciative of the decision to build a temple in their midst. The builders of the temple used the best materials they could find to construct the sacred edifice. Many people toured the building even before it was completed. Finally, it was finished and temple work began.
Brethren and sisters were called to work in the temple. The history of the Mesa Arizona Temple is their history. While only the presidencies and the matrons and their assistants are mentioned, the efforts of thousands of workers and patrons must be appreciated.
During its seventy-five years, many changes were made in the temple. The temple was even rededicated following major changes in 1975. A visitors' center as well as a family history center were constructed to aid in the work of the temple and to explain the functions of the temple. [Publisher's summary]